[MlMt] From "XXX via mailmate"[long story]

Henry Seiden info at techworkspro.com
Tue Dec 19 16:44:15 EST 2023

Antonio,

We are using a MailMate User Group here as you can see created on a
listserv from the email delivery info shown on each message delivered to
your inbox or visible on the website, it’s a standard Python Mailman
v2.1.26 service that is used, which you can use yourself. Free from
[this dev group](https://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/index.html).

You can either answer in an email repay or from the [web link provided
on each message](https://lists.freron.com/listinfo/mailmate). Not a big
problem either way. This particular server is open source and used by
multiple organizations and developers around the world to host a mailing
list (AKA listserv).

The settings are therefore prescribed by the User Group’s
implementation set up and I think Benny has done a good job following
prescribed formats to use it or the web based setup, The version is an
early one and the latest versions quoted on their web site may behave
differently. Upgrading is up to the person running the listserv. Don’t
know if the MM developer (Benny) has time for that kind of stuff. This
version works well enough for me.

For me, the address From: field always says, “MailMate Users
<mailmate at lists.freron.com>” If I click reply, when receiving such an
email from a member of this group like you, that is what always appears
in that field which gets moved to the To: (Sender Field). MailMate makes
that decision from the metadata in Reply-to: field.

It’s possible that the field is driven simply by how replies are
generated and processed at the listserv,  as John pointed out. It’s
not Mailmate’s job.

Within the body of the email message, it treats multiple replies within
a thread that are quoted with the headline, “On <date> at <time>,
<reply name> wrote:” Is there a problem and/or abnormality for you
there?

MM does its thing to add a line similar to the quoted portion of the
email for threaded replies in email. It all seems normal to me.

Does *this format* follow what you are seeing/expecting in the way
you’re reading it? Maybe cutting and pasting an example of what you do
and when you see anything different, if the case, would be helpful to
those trying to help you figure it out.

Respectfully,

Henry Seiden
- -