[MlMt] r5975 Experimental option Update[first look]

Scott mailmate at howyagoin.net
Fri Aug 25 20:47:40 EDT 2023

G'day all,

> First look at experimental version 5975 updated from 5970 (changing no settings) and using the correspondence view, 3 pane display. So far (1 hour of use):
> * No issues crashing (cause of concern to others, but I never experienced in Ventura or Sonoma OS).

I should probably have elaborated as to what's triggering the crashes for me -- Benny and I have been talking about it for a bit, and I think he's well on the way to solving it, but, just in case someone else reads this and can benefit, here's what I do that may be different enough to trigger issues.

I have several IMAP accounts that for Synchronisation Schedule are set to "Connected" (but, I've also set this to 30 minutes to try to make the crashing less frequent, kinda-sorta worked, but, not always).

I'm running my own IMAP server (Dovecot), and I use Sieve and dozens of Sieve rules quite heavily.  This means that my incoming email is filtered into loads of mailboxes automatically.

Tags (IMAP keywords/flags) are also something I make significant use of.

Within MailMate, I have a number of Smart Mailboxes, such as ones to show me unread messages in mailboxes where Sieve has sorted mail, and a few other special conditions (like Smart Mailboxes for unread messages with a certain text/body of email match), and of course, Smart Mailboxes for certain Tags.

The (frustratingly repeatable) crashes for me always occur when I'm viewing a mailbox which is the target for these Sieve rules.

Crashes would typically take place when the message view was updated (from my point of view, such as when a Synchronise takes place, which would update the view list), or, when I deleted a message (which would move it to the Trash and update the view of the folder, or a few other similar conditions, such as sending a reply to a message in one of the folders in question.

From memory, I don't think crashes ever took place when I was simply using my INBOX, or any folder which was not receiving Sieve controlled background updates.

I'm happy to report that Version 1.14 (5975) has been extremely stable so far, with only one crash (again, whilst a Sieve updated folder was being shown) in the last day.  Ahhhhhh.

For most people I don't think the crashes would have taken place, and poor Benny was having a devil of a time reproducing it.  Thankfully, it was very reproducible here, so, I think that's why 5975 seems so much happier.  Fingers crossed!

Scott