[MlMt] Trying to understand tags/folders for GMail

Jonathan Clark jonathan at clarksonline.me.uk
Sun Jun 1 16:24:42 EDT 2014

Regards,

-- Jonathan

On 26 May 2014, at 17:00, mailmate-request at lists.freron.com wrote:

> ToMailMate Users <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
> Cc
> Bcc
> SubjectRe: [MlMt] Trying to understand tags/folders for GMail
> Date26 May 2014 12:54
>
> On 24 May 2014, at 0:38, Jonathan Clark wrote:
>> I also have "_todo" and "_waiting" folders that I also often
>> copy messages to alongside the other folder.
>> These are what I would consider to be labels/tags/flags/keywords.
>> These messages have a primary location and are then
>> labelled/tagged/... as a way to categorize them beyond that primary
>> location.I'm guessing that I should be moving the folders "_todo" and
>> "_waiting" to be tags, leaving the others as folders?

> Benny replied:
> Yes, you can create the tags “ToDo” and “Waiting” in MailMate
> and then make sure that they are mapped to your existing Gmail labels
> “_todo” and “_waiting”.
>> But what are the practical benefits of this?
> If you do the above then the IMAP mailboxes in MailMate named
> “_todo” and “_waiting” should disappear when the account is
> synchronized (you might need to explicitly do that). Any messages with
> these labels are instead going to appear as tagged in MailMate (with
> ToDo and Waiting). You should create smart mailboxes with, for
> example, the condition: “Tags/Keywords” include “ToDo”.
>
> 1. It's about avoiding duplicate messages. In your current setup, a
> message located in both “_todo” and in one of your other mailboxes
> is going to be fetched and stored twice by MailMate.
> 2. It's about treating labels as tags. If something is used as a label
> (and not a mailbox) then this is also how it should be used in
> MailMate. In MailMate it is known as tags, but it's the same thing.
> Using the “T” shortcut you can easily add/remove your labels/tags.
> 3. It's about migration. If you ever need to move messages from Gmail
> to some other IMAP server (or the other way) then tags are preserved.

Having formed a "_todo" tag, I have gone back and used it to tag a
number of the messages in the _todo folder, and I have synchronised and
re-started the app. But the "_todo" folder still shows. Am I missing
something?

And another issue: when I'm away from the Mac, I will use a variety of
iOS apps to triage mail. This includes filing to the _todo folder. When
I do this it doesn't seem to add the _todo tag. Is this related to the
first issue? Is there a way to get this tagging working in iOS?

Thanks,

Jonathan