[MlMt] tags and email client

Sat Jun 8 03:27:43 EDT 2024

On 7 Jun 2024, at 18:06, aisrael wrote:

> My understanding, as a non expert in mail clients’ subtleties, is
> that it is impossible to transfer tags (or smart mailboxes based on
> tags) from Mailmate to another client (except for a few IMAP
> keywords). Is it absolutely impossible, or is there a workaround?

Scott already gave a thorough answer. I'll just add some random
thoughts:

* Not all servers support IMAP keywords, in particular,
Office365/Exchange. In those cases, MailMate will quietly (which is kind
of bad) make them local-only.
* Some server have a limit on the number of IMAP keywords which results
in various silent errors (like tags getting cleared shortly after being
set).
* Thunderbird has, I think, 5 custom IMAP keywords. Tags can be created
in MailMate which map to those keywords and then they should work nicely
together.
* Colored flags in Apple Mail also uses IMAP keywords. MailMate mirrors
this behavior.