[MlMt] messages re-sort when marked as read

Mike Karels mike at karels.net
Wed Apr 3 09:23:18 EDT 2024

On 3 Apr 2024, at 7:04, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 3 Apr 2024, at 20:58, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>
>> On 26 Mar 2024, at 2:41, Mike Karels wrote:
>>
>>> Any thoughts or workarounds?
>>
>> Definitely sounds lite duplicates exist on the server or there is some kind of setup issue. I would enable the “Source Mailbox” column in the message list to make sure these emails are really in the same mailbox (and/or account).
>>
>> Sorry about the late reply. I'm currently on vacation.
>
> And being on vacation, it appears I don't read the details before replying. I misunderstood the problem :)
>
> I think the issue might be that MailMate resorts messages when marking something read -- and emails with the same date might not be sorted in the same order as before (I'm not sure why/if this can happen). BUT, MailMate also remembers previously selected columns in order to have a secondary sorting criterium. If you select the unread column header and then the date header column then it could result in the behavior you describe (if I've read it right this time). Try sorting by different columns before sorting by date column and see if that changes the behavior.

Thanks, Benny.  I didn't realize there could be a secondary sort.  The behavior was as if the secondary sort was "Unread", but the sort order was opposite that of the Date Received.  I may have changed the secondary sort to put Unread messages below (after) read messages; that would mitigate the problem.  Then I selected From and then Date Received, so maybe it won't sort on Unread.

Is there a way to delete the secondary sort?

		Mike