[MlMt] Smart Inbox for "Waiting for Reply"

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed May 17 10:05:36 EDT 2023

On 2023-05-17 at 09:48:35 UTC-0400 (Wed, 17 May 2023 15:48:35 +0200)
Dominik Obermaier <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

> I have the situation that sometimes people don't came back to me in
> time, so I'd like to implement a smart mailbox that shows me e-mails
> where I'm waiting for a follow up.
>
> The idea is to have a mailbox that shows me sent messages who did not
> receive a reply yet. I already tried using "Message is not replied" as
> condition but it doesn't seem to do the trick.

Right, because the "Replied" flag is set by a MUA on a delivered message
that you have replied to, and that event does not propagate back to the
sender in any way except for the reply itself.

> Any suggestions?

I don't see an obvious solution but what you need to detect is the
non-existence of any message with the same Thread-ID as something you
sent AND is newer OR has a In-Reply-To or References header citing a
message ID of a message you sent.

I think I would do that by way of a custom keyword, but I haven't
thought it through completely. (and won't, because I'm mostly incapable
of doing deadlines usefully.)

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org