[MlMt] disabling gifs in received mail

Shoshanna Green shoshannag at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 11:56:15 EDT 2023

On 22 Mar 2023, at 11:37, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 21 Mar 2023, at 20:06, Shoshanna Green wrote:
>
>> On 21 Mar 2023, at 14:55, Glenn Parker wrote:
>>
>>> If you don’t mind modifying the original message slightly, you can have MailMate remove the annoying GIF attachment directly.
>>
>> I'd be fine with that, but it's not an attachment, or at least MailMate doesn't see it as one. When I start a reply to the offending message, so that all HTML etc is stripped and I can see what's going on, the GIF shows up as
>
> It might show up as an attachment if you switch to plain text using “View > Message Body Parts”. This could also, by itself, be a way to stop it from being displayed. MailMate should remember this for this particular message (locally).

Switching to plain text doesn't help. I just tried something I should have tried before, and I can report that regardless of whether I'm displaying HTML or plain text, choosing "Message > Save Attachments…" saves the gif along with some jpgs that are also in the signature block and the pdf attachment that I actually want -- but regardless of whether I'm displaying HTML or plain text, only the pdf is listed at the top of the message with the quicklook/save/delete buttons. So I can't see any way to delete the gif attachment from the message except by deleting them all with "Message > Remove Attachments," and I'd like to keep the pdf attached if possible. (Yes, I've also downloaded and saved it separately, but this is a thing I want both belt and suspenders on.)

I have gif killers in nearly all my browsers; I was hoping there'd be one in MailMate. I don't mind the image, I just don't want it moving.

(But honestly, Benny, this is a minor quibble that has come up once in -- how long have I been using MailMate? -- nine years. Don't let me distract you from bigger concerns!)

Shoshanna Green (she/her)
shoshannag at gmail.com