[MlMt] Running MailMate simultaneously in two locations

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Mon Apr 24 16:39:30 EDT 2023

Multiple instances of MailMate are fine, but you can't replicate rules.
IMAP doesn't have suitable locking primitives, so there's no way for
MailMate to prevent such problems. The only answer that I know of is to
keep all of the rules on one machine. In the past, I've done much of my
sorting on a desktop, since it's always on. But there are exceptions.
There are emails I want to see immediately, even if I'm just on my
phone. Those I sort on my laptop.

The question of how MailMate should respond to error messages is a
completely different one.

         —Steve Bellovin, https://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb