[MlMt] local folders

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Apr 19 14:41:10 EDT 2023

On 2023-04-19 at 13:13:25 UTC-0400 (Wed, 19 Apr 2023 10:13:25 -0700)
Randy Bush <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

> I duck duck went for “IMAP server for Mac” and got a useless list
> of clients and how to use mail.app

The canonical recommendation for an IMAP server is Dovecot, but if you
have another one you prefer, anything reasonably POSIX-compliant should
work.

A tool I like a lot is EMailchemy: https://weirdkid.com
It includes a read-only IMAP server if you want that. Also can massage a
message store into all sorts of formats. Some years back, I used it to
convert 20+ years of Eudora archives into a format that MM could import,
and did so into a dummy account which has bogus server settings and is
permanently offline. It's a de facto local folder.

(But I also run my own Dovecot server for personal recent mail.)

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not Currently Available For Hire