[MlMt] good email providers that play well w/ MailMate [was: moving my mail from one server to another—will my IMAP mailboxes & their contents survive the move?]

Robert Cutler robb at nne.net
Wed Apr 12 15:53:25 EDT 2023

I concur with John completely.

I had run my own mail server since 1994-95 — starting on a Mac SE (!), then for about 12-13 years on a Mac Quadra 950, and finally on an Xserve starting sometime around 2007-2008.

While it was a lot of fun and didn’t take a lot of my time to administer once everything was setup, the combination of new email standards being enforced (Google would only intermittently accept messages from my server), the mail server software not keeping up with them (it stopped being updated at least 10 years ago), and my wanting to reduce my electric bill led me to switch to Fastmail last December.

Couldn’t be happier.  It all just works, and it was extremely easy to move all the email over without loss.

And the small monthly cost for Fastmail is more than offset by the reduction in my electric bill.

(I have no connection with Fastmail except as a satisfied customer…)