[MlMt] Colors in mailbox menu

Glenn Parker glenn.parker at comcast.net
Fri Oct 28 12:25:35 EDT 2022

On 26 Oct 2022, at 17:19, Simon Kaplan wrote:

> In today’s release (5923) Benny says
>
> |  New: On macOS 11+, the Mailbox menu includes a “Symbol” menu to
> make it easy to change the mailbox symbol used.

The release notes for 5924 further add:

> New: Added tip to use the SF Symbols app to browse available symbols

Well, my Mac had never heard of the SF Symbols app. It turns out this is
a specialized app from Apple that is aimed at Mac developers, so it’s
not part of the standard utilities in the OS. It can be downloaded here:
https://developer.apple.com/sf-symbols/.

Note that, using the Chrome browser, my download got stuck at the end.
After waiting a bit, the file stabilized at 243.9 MB. I then manually
renamed “Unconfirmed 336157.crdownload” to “SF-Symbols-4.dmg”,
and this allowed me to open the .dmg file and run the package. The
Safari browser was able to complete the download without any
intervention.

I must also comment that the search feature in SF Symbols, which Apple
has the audacity to brag about in their online video, is not very
powerful. In truth, it is dirt simple. Searches for “cash” and
“money” turned up zilch, because there are no icons with those words
in their name. Naturally, browsing the Commerce category I found icons
like banknote, dollarsign, centsign, yensign, eurosign, etc.

Compare that to the superb search feature provided by [Font
Awesome](https://fontawesome.com/search?m=free&o=r), which is another
icon font system (offering both free and paid access). They put a lot of
work into it, and it is indexed by many useful keywords. It will also do
“fuzzy” searches, recognizing mis-spellings and related categories.
The point is that a massive icon library without a good search system is
basically crippled from the start.

Glenn P. Parker
glenn.parker at comcast.net