[MlMt] Increase quoting level only quotes first line if line is wrapped

Glenn Parker glenn.parker at comcast.net
Mon Nov 21 11:06:32 EST 2022

On 16 Nov 2022, at 6:47, Patrik Fältström via mailmate wrote:

> Is this just me?

It would help if you include the version of MailMate you are using.

> If I am editing a mail in plain text that include as much text between
> line breaks that there are line wraps, increase quoting level fails
> for me.

I’m not seeing this. For a single line of text with no linebreaks, the
quoting operation (CMD-‘) first inserts “> ” at the start of the
line. Repeating the operation inserts another “>” without the space.
It doesn’t matter how long the line is. You can verify that the
quoting works using the Preview mode.

However, there are some slightly funky interactions between line
wrapping and quoting. I’m not quite sure what the trigger is, but
MailMate will occasionally reformat a long line of text into multiple
lines. In the preview mode, it still acts like a single “paragraph”
that wraps naturally to the width of the window. The “secret” is
that each line of the reformatted text in the markup window ends with an
extra space. Deleting the space at the end of the line turns it into a
hard line break. Put the space back and the wrapping behavior is
restored. I assume this is a feature of the markup system.

I tried to reproduce the behavior you described. The only way I could
make it happen was to start with the following:

     This is a very
     long line with
     automatic line
     wraps.

Note that there are no spaces at the ends of the lines, so these are
hard line breaks. If I set my cursor in the first line and hit CMD=-‘,
I get your result.

    > This is a very
     long line with
     automatic line
     wraps.

If I select all the lines, I get:

    > This is a very
    > long line with
    > automatic line
    > wraps.

Adding spaces at the ends of the first 3 lines makes it work exactly the
way you expected.

Glenn P. Parker
glenn.parker at comcast.net