[MlMt] Latest normal release?

Glenn Parker glenn.parker at comcast.net
Fri Nov 11 10:52:33 EST 2022

On 6 Nov 2022, at 7:42, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> That's a very good question, but I don't really have a good answer.
> I'm to blame for this (as with all things related to MailMate). The
> starting point was major changes to the message view of MailMate which
> then cascaded into other parts of MailMate eventually making it very
> hard to make updates which would not break existing features for some
> users.

Any sustainable software development cycle has to include phasing out
old non-essential features. There is also a natural reluctance to
negatively impact existing users. This is especially true in a close
user community like MailMate’s, where we all can interact directly
with the solo developer.

Why not spend some quality time re-assessing these old features? A
feature survey would be informative for us (exposing problematic
features we might be relying on). And it might go the other way,
revealing that old features are not worth the extra sweat to maintain.

Is this something Benny could offload to volunteers? Could people comb
the bug tracker for things like this and put out a summary?

Glenn P. Parker
glenn.parker at comcast.net