[MlMt] MM keeps demanding passwords

Randall Gellens mailmate at randy.pensive.org
Tue Mar 8 22:00:08 EST 2022

On 8 Mar 2022, at 8:54, Randall Gellens wrote:

> I just changed the setting on the Login keychain, Hopefully that fixes
> it.

I'm happy to report that this does seem to have fixed it. I turned off
"Lock keychain on sleep." (Although, from a security point of view, I'd
want the keychain locked on sleep but automatically unlocked on
authenticated wake, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that.)

On 8 Mar 2022, at 9:24, info at techworkspro.com wrote:

> Randall,
>
> Some accounts need App-Specific passwords to be used in MM. Could this
> be your problem? Specifically when i migrated from Apple Mail, iCloud
> needed those to both log in and send email. It is mentioned in the
> help guide and other docs. Some others like Google and Yahoo! send you
> to a website when relocating your mail client. Kinda the same steps to
> validate clients.

Thanks for the idea, Henry; in my case it was just normal IMAP accounts.
The problem seems to be that the Keychain was getting locked when the
machine went to sleep, and then MailMate got an error which it
interpreted as the item being absent rather than the keychain being
locked.

On 8 Mar 2022, at 9:46, Ian Petersen wrote:

> Randall,
>
>> it pops up a dialog demanding the password for various accounts,
>> claiming the password isn't in the keychain, which it is. I open
>> Keychain Utility, copy the password to the clipboard, paste it into
>> the box, and MM is happy for a while. Very annoying.
>
> My Mailmate has done that for years through several OS versions and
> myriad MM versions. It happens a couple of times a month for me. I
> just shut down MM for an hour or so and it seems to be fine again. You
> don't even need to add the password again because it's already there.
> I think it's a glitch between MM and Keychain ...

It sounds like there may be some issues here. Is Benny aware of this?

On 8 Mar 2022, at 9:49, Alexandre Takacs wrote:

> A bit tangential to the topic but still of interest (I think) is that
> if for whatever reason you missed your initial user / pass combination
> when setting up you account (especially with OAUTH) MM will have all
> kinds of issues with your account in the future, even if correct
> credentials are latter submitted. You’d rather want to redo it from
> scratch.

That sounds unpleasant. I hope Benny has some idea of what's going on.

--Randall