[MlMt] migrating from apple mail to mail mate - prospective user

Thomas Kahle thomas.kahle at jpberlin.de
Mon Feb 7 02:43:03 EST 2022

On 7 Feb 2022, at 7:50, Fredrik Jonsson wrote:

> mailmate--- via mailmate 2022-02-07 1:33 wrote:
>
>> The secure way would be to run a real IMAP server on your machine, to which MailMate can connect locally. I haven’t tried myself, but running [Dovecot](https://www.dovecot.org/) in a container should work.
>
> I have done this for many years. If you are comfortable with running your own services it works really well.
>
> Here is an old, but updated, post on how to set it up on macOS. I'm running this setup on macOS Monterey 12.2 at the moment.
>
> <https://xdeb.org/post/2014/running-dovecot-as-a-local-only-imap-server-on-os-x/>

Not having local folders is basically the last ‘issue’ that I have with MailMate.

The local IMAP server solution is conceptually nice, but be prepared, your whole Mail archive will be stored twice locally.  Once where dovecot stores it and then Mailmate ‘downloads’ a local copy and stores it all again.

It’s probably better (also from a backup perspective) to put the archive on an IMAP server on some other computer (i.e. ‘the cloud’).

Cheers,
Thomas

--
Thomas Kahle