[MlMt] "Mark As Junk" / "Move To Junk"

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Tue Feb 1 15:15:12 EST 2022

On 2022-02-01 at 14:02:48 UTC-0500 (Tue, 01 Feb 2022 14:02:48 -0500)
Jim Leff <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

> I use a Gmail account.
>
> How do I mark spam (for the benefit of Google’s algorithm)?

Use MailMate's "Junk" button or the "Move To Junk" menu item. On a
normal IMAP server this will add the $Junk keyword and remove the
$NotJunk keyword (which map to the MM Tags "Junk" and "NotJunk") AND
move the message to whatever mailbox MM has set as the "Junk"
sub-mailbox for that account. With GMail it's technically a bit
different because they confuse and conflate keywords (calling them
"labels") and sub-mailboxes, but the button or menu command will still
effectively do both.

> MailMate lets me mark as junk, or move to junk.

"Move to Junk" (but not the "Move to Mailbox" command targeting the Junk
mailbox) will do both the move and the keyword changes. "Move Out of
Junk" puts a message back where it came from, sets $NotJunk, and removes
$Junk.

On standard IMAP servers, keywords and mailboxes are independent modes
of classification and there can be semantic variations that you can't
get with GMail. For example, a server-side filter might never set either
keyword itself but only deliver suspect mail to the Junk mailbox, while
a learning system  may scan for explicitly set keywords ($Junk or
$NotJunk) to train itself and move messages to an appropriate mailbox
after learning.

> There’s apparently no one trigger to have MailMate do both (though
> that would seem to be the most common behavior). Do you all do a
> two-step action on spam, or just one or the other?

Just the one action, which actually does both steps.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not Currently Available For Hire