[MlMt] Trash Can Icon in Message List

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Mon Apr 25 02:22:13 EDT 2022

On 25 Apr 2022, at 4:20, Bill Cole wrote:

> On 2022-04-24 at 18:05:23 UTC-0400 (Sun, 24 Apr 2022 18:05:23 -0400)
>
> Mike Conley mailmate at lists.freron.com
>
> is rumored to have said:
>
> I guess I was not so much interested in the peculiarities of the Xfinity IMAP server as I was in what exactly the trash can icon in the message list meant. Anyone know?
>
> It sounds like MM is marking messages as deleted rather than moving them to whichever mailbox in the account is being used as the "Trash" mailbox. That is an older model for how deletion is done in IMAP, but I'm not sure why MM would do that for one account and not others or why it would show the deleted but not yet expunged messages.

IMO that’s the only correct way to use IMAP, but I’m a dinosaur :-) My guess is that MailMate uses its “normal” Delete model for the account, but that perhaps Xfinity IMAP server doesn’t support \Junk flags, and so SpamSieve falls back on storing a \Deleted flag instead. That is pure conjecture on my part, but it would explain the behavior.
--
   .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - Weyertal 121 (Gebäude 133), Zimmer 2.02.:.
                .:.Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK).:.