[MlMt] Newbie questions

Henry Seiden info at techworkspro.com
Mon Apr 11 13:10:26 EDT 2022

Hi Bob,

I’m in a similar situation to you, but using MailMate for a couple
months, long enough to learn how Benny, the developer works and this
site works, which I’m seeing that he reads regularly.

While the User Manual is extensive and in depth, it doesn’t begin to
cover the nuts and bolts of daily use to any great degree. We’re kind
of on our own and I’d like to help on some things, so I’ll take the
quoted part of your item #1.

Respectfully,

Henry Seiden
- -
Techworks Pro Co.
E: info<at>techworkspro<dot>com
W: http://techworkspro.com

On 11 Apr 2022, at 12:03, Bob Paver wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> A few questions from a newbie who’s been using MailMate for a couple
> of months. I am using it in conjunction with SaneBox which has its own
> challenges for me. I’m a 40 year tech veteran, but am not a sharp as
> I was back in the day. Still have some game, however. Not afraid to
> tackle plists and MacOS default settings and good at the command line;
> too good sometimes.
>
> 1. …Probably related: when creating smart mailboxes or editing
> existing mailboxes what is the purpose of the ‘condition’ window
> vs. the rules window?
…> In Editing  an existing mailbox, for example the one called,
“Mailing Lists” which was created for us, the tabs along the top of
the edit window, Mailboxes, Conditions, Submailboxes  and Rules. You can
change the operation of that root mailbox and the messages it contains.
In this case the root is selecting “ALL MESSAGES.”

Likewise you can edit the sub mailboxes contained in the root,
similarly. To your question about the use of Conditions…  In this
case, this root folder is dedicated to selecting all messages where they
are marked by the sender as a list (the list-ID>identifier in the header
is “existing”). So the server says the message is from a “list”.

You can also  ‘ripple down’ the settings in any message box/folder
to its sub folders, by merely changing the root folder’s settings. In
this particular case we create subfolders to hold all specific messages
and the root shows all of them lumped together.

Does that answer your question?