[MlMt] smart mailbox

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Thu Sep 23 11:47:03 EDT 2021

On 2021-09-23 at 10:31:58 UTC-0400 (Thu, 23 Sep 2021 16:31:58 +0200)
aisrael <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

> Regarding smart mailboxes, my understanding has always been that it is
> impossible to maintain them between 2 computers (running Mailmate).
> Does any workaround exist?

It is theoretically possible to keep 2 MailMate instances' mailboxes in
synch by synchronizing ~/Library/Application
Support/MailMate/Mailboxes.plist between the 2 Macs. Unfortunately, to
do this *safely* you must only do the sync when both instances are not
running, because that's the only way you can be sure that the file is
current and self-consistent and that MM will load a newly-synched file.
It also contains definitions for all of the subscribed "source"
mailboxes and all the rules associated with all mailboxes, so you can't
easily only synch a subset like 'smart mailboxes.' This also implies the
same collection of source accounts on both machines, so it is prudent to
also sync the Sources.plist file whenever you sync Mailboxes.plist.

So, in practice it is not something that is simply automated to get
'live' synchronization.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org