[MlMt] Looking for error cause/name

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sat Oct 30 18:51:00 EDT 2021

On 2021-10-30 at 14:17:10 UTC-0400 (Sat, 30 Oct 2021 11:17:10 -0700)
Tracy Valleau <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

> Hello.
>
> My host is trying to chase down a synchronization error.
>
> Recent, I got a spate of error boxes upon launch of MM, pointing to
> something (IN ALL CAPS) that apparently changed  on the host and
> caused MM to re-sync or re-load all the messages. The ALL CAPS was (I
> believe) some kind UID.
>
> The message would let me resync once; resync always or (one other
> thing I can't recall either.)
>
> Problem is, I didn't screenshot the error message, and I cannot
> remember the actual "UID" mentioned.
>
> If anyone can tell me what I'm thinking of, I'll pass it along to my
> host as a possible solution.
>
> Anyone know what I'm talking about and what that particular "UID" was
> actually named?

Most likely "UIDVALIDITY"

That is an IMAP parameter that essentially acts as a version number for
a mailbox. As long as the UIDVALIDITY does not change, a client can
trust that message unique IDs in that mailbox have not changed, although
messages with new UIDs may have been added or past messages expunged.
UIDVALIDITY lifetime is often measured in years.

It makes sense for MM to alert on a UIDVALIDITY change because it
indicates that a significant event on the IMAP server has occurred, such
as a restoration from backup or migration to a new system, which will
require a full re-synch of the mailbox.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org