[MlMt] Fwd: MailMate and Monterey

Thomas Bartlett t.bartlett at me.com
Fri Nov 26 07:16:49 EST 2021

> activated in both Correction: I was referring to Outlook and Hotmail, but neglected to mention Hotmail.

Further correction: I find that my intention in that statement was mistaken. The Hotmail account does have OAuth2 checked, but Outlook account uses the app-specific password without activating OAuth2.

In Keychain Access, there is no separate entry relating to the Hotmail account, apparently because it also uses the outlook.com server.

Question: given that 1) Hotmail can now send and receive through the same server as Outlook by using OAuth2 without a password (apparently?), where as 2) Outlook can receive but not send using a password without OAuth2, therefore 3) might Outlook be able to send and receive, just like Hotmail, if I remove the password and activate OAuth2?  I think I tried that earlier but found it wanting, so I got the passwords, but I don’t remember for certain the sequence of my attempts to fix it.


Forwarded message:
> From: Thomas Bartlett via mailmate <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
> To: MailMate Users <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
> Cc: Thomas Bartlett <t.bartlett at me.com>
> Subject: Re: [MlMt] MailMate and Monterey
> Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 03:15:11 -0800
> Those are the IMAP and SMTP server addresses that I use with Outlook. Port 993 with IMAP, Port 465 with SMTP. Require SSL activated in both IMAP and SMTP, but OAuth2 not activated in either, while app-specific password used in both.
> And I deleted the Keychain entry in the format you showed below. But I left in place a Keychain entry that is identical with the format below except that the word ‘refresh’ is not shown between ‘oath-‘ and ‘-token.’  Should that also be removed?
> Thomas
> On 25 Nov 2021, at 9:13, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>> I looked into making my test account (@outlook.com) work and this time it succeeded. I'm still unsure if it's officially supported by Microsoft, but these settings do work for me:
>> IMAP: imap-mail.outlook.com
>> SMTP: smtp-mail.outlook.com
>> Both with OAuth2 enabled.
>> There might be an issue where MailMate fails to get a new so-called refresh token and I think that might play a part in why these things seem a bit unpredictable. Therefore, after configuring the above, try deleting items in “Keychain Access” with the following name:
>>     com.freron.MailMate.Outlook.oauth-refresh-token
>> That should trigger a new round of OAuth2 authorization which might work better for you.
>> -- 
>> Benny
>> _______________________________________________
>> mailmate mailing list
>> mailmate at lists.freron.com
>> https://lists.freron.com/listinfo/mailmate
> _______________________________________________
> mailmate mailing list
> mailmate at lists.freron.com
> https://lists.freron.com/listinfo/mailmate

More information about the mailmate mailing list