[MlMt] Multiple rule interactions (was "Re: Filter(?) Message is moved to trash")

Randall Gellens mailmate at randy.pensive.org
Tue Nov 23 09:46:26 EST 2021

On 23 Nov 2021, at 2:47, Robert Brenstein wrote:

> I was using such moving as you describe when I was using Eudora.
> Switching from POP to IMAP changed the paradigm. With Mailmate, I just
> leave messages in the Inbox and instead of moving have smart mailboxes
> to show those selected messages. For what you describe as Inbox, I
> have a smart mailbox called incoming. Same end effect with no physical
> movements and actually more control.

I have been using IMAP since last century, even with Eudora. I
understand the advantages of virtual mailboxes, but I prefer the
certainty and interoperability of using multiple real mailboxes. E.g.,
sometimes I access my mail using Mail on an iOS device, or even webmail.
Virtual mailboxes are of course only useful within MailMate.

More to the point, I'd like to understand if the behavior I'm seeing is
intentional or a bug. If the former, I'd like to see an explanation of
how rules are supposed to work. If the latter, it'd be nice to have an
idea of when it might be fixed.

--Randall