[MlMt] MailMate and Monterey

Thomas Bartlett t.bartlett at me.com
Mon Nov 22 21:03:07 EST 2021

Hello Benny,

Please see my responses in black font below.

On 22 Nov 2021, at 6:46, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 22 Nov 2021, at 15:08, t.bartlett--- via mailmate wrote:
>

>> I run Monterey 12.0.1. I don’t have MacOS 12.1, but should I update to 12.1 for better compatibility with MailMate?
>
> No, there’s no need for that.
>
>>  I looked at the About MailMate window. It said I had 5835 installed. Then I looked at the Updates window. It said I should downgrade to 5637.
>
> The r5835 is one of many test releases and MailMate offered you the latest public release (which is pretty old now and not very good with Monterey). I'm working on making a new public release, but there's still a lot to do.

I now have r5844 (not 5848, if that makes any difference), version 1.14. So I guess I’m pretty much fully up to date now.  I d

> To get the latest test release (and you should for Monterey): Hold down ⌥ when clicking “Check Now” in the Software Update preferences pane.

I tried that after r5844 was installed and nothing happened. The window just closed. I suppose that means I’m fully up to date.

>> So I did that. Big mistake apparently. Then that did not recognize my license anymore. Maybe it was out of date. So I paid $49.95 to Freron. And on top of that, I agreed to be a Patron.
>
> Let me know if you regret this and I'll provide refunds. (You can write me off list if you like.)
>
> If not, thanks for the support!!

I’m glad to support the MailMate project, even though right now I’m evidently now getting full effective use of it. I trust that with your conscientious efforts my problems will at some time be solved.

>> On another subject: Will MailMate ever be able to connect to outlook.com and hotmail.com servers?  I have legacy accounts there that receive mail but MailMate hasn’t been able to download that for a year or two now.
>
> My own test account for outlook.com also doesn't work at the moment. It did work in the past and I'm a bit unsure what changed. Making OAuth2 work for it involved some guessing since I cannot find any official documentation from Microsoft on how that's supposed to work.

OAuth2 is something that I don’t understand, so I’ll let you work that out.

> It's possible that it still works with an application specific keyword since outlook.com is not the same thing as Office365 (which does work and does definitely not allow application specific passwords). Another data point: I'm pretty sure OAuth2 does not work for outlook.com accounts in Thunderbird.

I have Office365 on my MacBook PRO with Monterey OS, running in “New Outlook” mode. It definitely does connect to Outlook.com mail and Hotmail.com mail. Of course, it’s to be expected that a Microsoft mail client would connect effectively with the Microsoft mail servers. My (perhaps excessively suspicious) hypothesis might be that Microsoft is deliberately making it difficult or impossible for other mail clients to do the same, but then what do I know about it?

> I'll look into it eventually, but I cannot guarantee that I can make it work again.

I understand. That’s why I also keep Apple Mail and Outlook mail clients on my MacBook.  I have Thunderbird on my computer but hardly ever use it. When I opened it a moment ago, a small window popped up with Chinese text, asking my responses to some questions. I read Chinese but I don’t remember ever connecting with any Chinese site that would produce this.

Thank you,

Thomas