[MlMt] Conditional (per account/per sender/recipient) behavior - PGP and images

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Sat May 29 18:32:06 EDT 2021

On 29 May 2021, at 17:30, Randy Bush wrote:

>> 3. Is it possible to disable image tracking for 1x1 image by default,
>> even if I choose to load the images?
>
> yes, please

I don't see how that's possible. It's the attempt to do the download
that leads to tracking: a web server somewhere sees a request for
the tracking URL; whether or not anything is shown is irrelevant.
And until you download it, you don't know that it's 1x1. I suppose
someone could set up a server that collected the hostnames  or
URLs that served up these things, but uploading to the site is also
tracking, though presumably we'd trust it more.

        —Steve Bellovin, https://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb