[MlMt] Memory usage

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Wed May 12 01:45:13 EDT 2021

On 2021-05-12 01:49:06 (+0800), Tracy Valleau wrote:
> 3 million messages !  Do you really need all of them actively online?

I can't speak for Patrik but I find it a lot easier to simply keep them
all "actively online" than to try to decide which ones to archive.
Before I used MailMate, I rotated some of my larger mailboxes annually
(and some more often) and it was a huge hassle (with ugly perl scripts)
to find anything.

> If not, and you are just archiving them, with only the need for
> infrequent access, you might want to consider something like
> MailSteward.
>
> https://mailsteward.com/
>
> I've been using it for over a decade, and it has never lost an email.
> That allows me to remove the email from my server, and keep
> significantly less than 3 million "on hand."
>
> (For three million messages, you'd want the full mySQL version.)

If MailMate weren't so good (or didn't exist), I'd probably be all over
this. :)  This sounds great.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps