[MlMt] Memory usage

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Tue May 11 23:41:34 EDT 2021

On 2021-05-11 at 07:17:25 UTC-0400 (Tue, 11 May 2021 13:17:25 +0200)
Charlie Clark <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

> On 11 May 2021, at 9:10, Patrik Fältström via mailmate wrote:
>
>> Question, have anyone of you like myself had issues with memory and
>> looked into what might causing it?
>
> It's almost bound to be indexes. There will be indexes for the headers
> and presumably a full-text one as well. I would not be surprised with
> a 1:10 relation from index to total mail size, for the text parts
> (you'll see similar on a DB).

MM's indices are much less efficient, due to their comprehensive
coverage and the nature of email. 1:3.2 is the ratio on my primary
machine. One reason for that is that MM indexes every email header it
ever sees and many headers are very rare, but it is more significant
that it maintains both case-preserving and case-squashed indices for
body text and the most common headers, doubling the size of the largest
index files.

> Not sure if you can do anything about that but Benny's probably the
> only person in a position to know.

Benny has actually made substantial improvements in how MM manages
memory over the past few years. It is much better about how much of the
full index it loads at startup and while it does tend to load more over
time, it doesn't behave as greedily as it used to, preventing OS memory
compression and seemingly never using "purgeable" memory. If he has some
user-accessible trick for reducing memory usage, he has kept it a secret
despite multiple threads here on the issue.

I suspect that the bottom-line summary is that high memory use is the
unavoidable price of MailMate's ridiculously fast and flexible searching
and smart mailbox functionality. There is no magical way around the fact
that big data is big.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org