[MlMt] Note that the SHA1 hash...

Matthias Schmidt beta at admilon.net
Mon Mar 1 18:45:10 EST 2021

Hi,

On 1 Mar 2021, at 19:15, Thomas Kahle wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 1 Mar 2021, at 16:57, Matthias Schmidt via mailmate wrote:
>>> Hi do you use PGP for signing or encrypting mail?  Some time back I had to update my ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf file with this line:
>>>
>>> personal-digest-preferences SHA512 SHA384 SHA256 SHA224
>>>
>>> ...to stop MailMate complaining about SHA1 digests.
>>
>> still not working, now I get this message:
>> Risk analysis	The hash function used for the message digest has been obsoleted due to security concerns. You should change your OpenPGP settings to use a stronger hash algorithm for the digest (such as SHA256).
>
> I use these three:
>
> cert-digest-algo SHA512
> default-preference-list SHA512 SHA384 SHA256 SHA224 AES256 AES192 AES CAST5 ZLIB BZIP2 ZIP Uncompressed
> personal-digest-preferences SHA512 SHA384 SHA256 SHA224
>
> I think the first might be what you are looking for.

I have 2 gpg.conf files:
one here:  ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf
and the othere here: /usr/local/MacGPG2/etc/skel/.gnupg/gpg.conf

I added those lines above in both config files, as it is not clear to me which one is used.
BUT, I still get this signing Alert The hash function used …
More ideas how to remove this SHA1 hash please?

btw, this appeared after upgrading to BigSur.

thanks
Matthias