[MlMt] Machine specific header

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Tue Jul 27 22:49:46 EDT 2021

On 2021-07-27 18:24:10 (+0800), MM_Arc wrote:
> At the office we are handling info-account with a number of users.
> At rare occasions the need arises to be able to tell which workstation
> did send the mail . . .
>
> So I’m wondering if there is a possibility to configure/add/set a
> specific header/tag based on the MM installation.

You could configure MailMate to put the hostname in the EHLO command it
sends to the SMTP server:

defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmSMTPFixedHostname -string
"example.com"

In many (most? some?) setups, that will cause the string to turn up in
the first Received: header.

Alternatively, you could set a custom header:

defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmAdditionalComposerHeaders "( {
headerName = 'X-YourOrg-Info-Workstation'; defaultValue = 'Something';
type = 'plain'; } )"

That may be a little bit more reliable in transit but users can easily
edit or suppress the header (either inadvertently or maliciously).

(These settings are documented on
https://manual.mailmate-app.com/hidden_preferences)

A more reliable solution would be to give each user of the shared
mailbox their own credentials.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps