[MlMt] Junk folder gets messages when Sieve unchecked

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Mon Jul 26 16:13:16 EDT 2021

On 2021-07-26 at 11:00:45 UTC-0400 (Mon, 26 Jul 2021 08:00:45 -0700)
Ralph Alvy <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

> I forgot to mention that the Junk folder is not on the Fastmail
> server. It is only a local folder created by MailMate. That seems to
> suggest the only way it got there is via MailMate itself.

There's no such thing as a local *real* folder created by MailMate, so
that must be a "Smart Folder" whose contents are defined by some logical
definition, drawing messages from some set of source folders that exist
on the IMAP server.

MailMate does include by default a "Junk" Smart Folder that includes all
messages from whatever server-side folders you've labeled (or MM has
labeled by default) as having a "Mailbox Type" of "Junk" across all
accounts. If there's not a top-level folder named "Junk" on the server
side, I expect that MM would see one named "Spam" as the right folder to
include in the "Junk" Smart Folder.

So my *revised* theory is that your Spam folder on the Fastmail server
is set in MM as the Junk-type folder for that account, that they in fact
did put the message in Spam, and you moved it elsewhere before noticing
that it had been in Spam (which is down in the Sources section of the
mailbox list where you might not see it.)