[MlMt] Follow Up to Email Concerns

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Thu Jul 8 15:09:06 EDT 2021

On 2021-07-08 at 11:53:26 UTC-0400 (Thu, 8 Jul 2021 11:53:26 -0400)
Dan Pritts <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

> This is veering WAY off topic, but I’m curious that for only 2k
> users you find it effective to run your own email.

That mail system is not a standalone service. It's a legacy service that
isn't marketed at all, but we will continue to run it as long as we have
customers (all small and medium-sized businesses) who don't want to
leave. It used to be much larger but there has been a lot of customer
migration to MS (and to Google but then also to MS.) Keeping it
operational is not a huge amount of work and the customers who've stuck
around have done so because they appreciate the level of service that
the giant providers cannot offer. We also fill the mail admin role for
some of those migrated customers, so I'm speaking of that capability
difference from direct experience. Microsoft can't do what we do.

> Having done it myself for years I can’t imagine diving back in
> unless it was a full time thing.

My primary employer does much more than email, so I have no difficulty
staying busy.

Of course, I should add that I also run my own personal mail system for
myself and my family: 5 people who pay me not a penny for my work.
That's all about being extremely picky about my own personal email and
professionally needing a system with a live mail stream including
substantial would-be spam (if spam is never accepted, was it ever really
spam?) where I can test anti-spam tooling with minimal risk and no legal
issues.