[MlMt] Dealing with MailMate disk usage

Raza Rizvi raz at raz.org
Wed Feb 24 11:05:38 EST 2021

Hi,

One of the nice things about MailMate is the great search options and
instant response, but that comes at the price of having a local copy of
your email, and no doubt many of you have multiple mailboxes, as I do.

So on my 250GB SSD root volume I have just about 50GB now used by
MailMate and I am fast running out of disk space. So I thought since
“/Users/xxx/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Messages” is an
alias pointing at the mail store of “/Users/xxx/Library/Application
Support/MailMate/Messages.noindex” this would not be a problem. I
could just copy the mail store to a different external SSD and have a
new alias to it (called Messages).

Some hours later, having made the copy (and deleted the original because
of the afore mentioned lack of space), I restarted MailMate. It bombed.

Copy the files back to the “Users/xxx/Library/Application
Support/MailMate folder, recreate the original alias, no problems and
MailMate starts up.

Anyone have any suggestions why this did not work?

Raza