[MlMt] 2nd IT&IP Service Notice: Campus Email Protocols IMAP/SMTP/POP Disabled - 2/1

Robert Brenstein mailmate at learning-insights.eu
Thu Feb 4 10:25:50 EST 2021

On 4 Feb 2021, at 10:47, Charlie Clark wrote:

> On 4 Feb 2021, at 5:48, Harvey S. Leff wrote:
>
>> MailMate aficionados,
>> I received the message below saying that my university’s email
>> services would no longer use IMAP.
>
> This really is quite worrying given that certificate-based e-mail has
> been possible for years, if not decades. What the world doesn't need
> is more proprietary, locked in systems where vendors get to choose
> what is and is not suitable…
>
> Charlie

What the message from OP’s university says is that they are disabling
IMAP and SMTP protocols on their Office 365 service. That is an optional
access to Office 365, which itself has always been proprietary, Charlie.
If there is enough people at the university that do not have mail
clients that work natively with Office 365, there might be enough
complaints that the service is restored. This is up local politics.