[MlMt] MailMate release notes

Thu Dec 9 10:12:40 EST 2021

On 8 Dec 2021, at 14:12, Eric Sharakan wrote:

> Hi, as someone who tends to download the latest test release
> regularly, I'm finding the restructuring of release notes not at all
> helpful.  First, it's nigh impossible to learn what's changed in each
> test release. Second, the new outline format reminds me more of a
> functional spec than release notes.

You are jumping to conclusions here :)

I have not changed how the release notes work in general. Each test
release will still include only what happened in that specific test
release. The exception has just been a few of the latest test releases
in which a lot of the actual work has been to rewrite the release notes
since the latest public release. It would, of course, be easier to just
have included everything from all test release notes, but I wouldn't be
surprised if far more than 50% of the content would have been fixes to
bugs introduced *after* the latest public release (which are irrelevant
to most users).

Going forward, there will be new test releases and those will be summed
up in another beta release. Likewise, when ready for a public release
I'll likely rewrite the beta release notes.

It's not ideal, but most of the time you'll get your short test release
notes. And thanks for trying the test releases!

> Finally, the length is simply unmanageable.  There's no way I can
> scroll through all that to see what's actually changed.  I know a lot
> has changed since the last public release, but I fear even users not
> on test releases are going to be overwhelmed by these release notes as
> written when the next public release occurs.

Yes, but there's not really much I can do about that... It would be
worse if they got the non-rewritten notes.