[MlMt] Rich Text Editor

Charlie Clark charlie at begeistert.org
Mon Apr 19 11:47:56 EDT 2021

On 16 Apr 2021, at 21:31, Ralph Alvy wrote:

> I have a feeling you and I are in a small nonvocal minority here,
> given the lack of response to the post.

Probably, I'm trying to think of when I need this. I normally just write
plaintext with a bit of markdown. While I could do with an easier way of
enabling (and automatically resizing) the preview, I don't really see
the need for a rich text editor.

But, more importantly, I think there are inherent problems with this
anyway: a lot of the HTML in e-mail is hideously complex and very
difficult to work with. AFAIK a lot of templates are still supposed to
work with the first versions of Outlook and Outlook Express that
supported this. I think Benny has mentioned this in the past: basically
MailMate's output has to be interleaved with the original.

But with MailMate's extensibility you might be able to get what you want
assuming there is some external editor that does this, because MailMate
can embed the generated HTML in an e-mail, though I'm not sure how the
plain text part would work.

Charlie

--
Charlie Clark