[MlMt] Easy method to change IMAP\SMTP account password

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Tue Sep 1 23:45:19 EDT 2020

On 1 Sep 2020, at 21:22, Antonio Leding wrote:

> Hello MM community,
>
> Is there any way to batch change the IMAP and\or SMTP password for
> multiple accounts?  If not, then I can submit a feature request —
> seems like a simple feature add so hopefully Benny and tram see value
> in adding something like this…

If you mean to set the passwords to distinct accounts to the same thing,
this would be a misfeature in my opinion.

The primary mechanism by which email accounts are compromised these days
is not password guessing or phishing, it is credential stuffing: trying
bulk collections of name+password combinations acquired from the huge
number of breached user databases of various services. In the past,
password reuse posed a mostly theoretical risk in targeted attacks, but
today it has become a component in commoditized bulk account compromise.
You can't rely on not being a target, because everyone is a target.

> Or perhaps a better plan of attack is to decouple the SMTP account
> definition from the actual IMAP accounts…in essence the ability to
> create SMTP account profiles that then can be attached to a given IMAP
> account.  Think of how awesome this would be.  Define the SMTP server
> account once and then use it across several IMAP accounts.

That is a very different and better feature. It has been years since I
last suggested it to Benny, and I don't remember how or if he responded.
The one downside I can see with it comes from supporting Apple Mail
users. Users who don't have a strong understanding of how email works
are sometimes confused by its implementation.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not For Hire (currently)