[MlMt] Yahoo sign-in problem

Dave C davec2468 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 19:45:12 EDT 2020

I have a few Yahoo accounts. One of them is giving me log-in troubles.

MailMate puts up an error message when it attempts to log into the SMTP
server:

Server response: “A1 NO [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] LOGIN
Invalid credentials”.
Command attempted: “A1 LOGIN ••••••••••”.

I have no problem logging into the account using the web browser
interface.

I used to get this all the time because I use a VPN and when the VPN
server is changed, Yahoo objects because it sees a strange IP address. I
usually just wait some random amount of time (immediate retries would
fail) and I could then log in again.

But recently I’ve not been using the VPN and I’m getting this error
consistently (it never succeeds in connecting to the Yahoo mail server).

Maybe this is related to the 2-step verification that Yahoo has been
touting, but I don’t think so: none of my other Yahoo accounts is
having this issue.

Has anyone else come across this issue and has found a solution?

Thanks,
Dave