[MlMt] Boolean Search

Randall Meadows randy.meadows at not-pc.com
Thu Oct 29 15:24:54 EDT 2020

On 29 Oct 2020, at 12:28, Martin S Taylor wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a mailbox which just contains emails to and from
> members of my family, all of whom, amazingly, have the same surname as
> me - Taylor.
>
> So I'd like to have a smart mailbox which includes all messages which
> have at least one Address fulfilling the following constraint: it
> contains "Taylor", but it doesn't contain "Martin". How do I do this?

I think this will do it; in the Smart Mailbox editor:

Mailboxes:
√ Include messages in any submailboxes of this mailbox
   Select the root mailbox from the dropdown menu (e.g., the INBOX of
your account)

Conditions:
• Click the + to add a condition
• Option-click the same (now) top + button to add another compound
condition; then (regular) click the second + button to add another
regular condition within the compound condition you just added.  Make
them look like this:
√ ALL of the following are true
    √ ALL of the following are true
       √ [Recipient (To, CC, Bcc)] [contains] "Taylor"
       √ [From > Name] [contains] "Taylor"
    √ [From > Name] [does not contain] "Martin"

This will gather all messages that were SENT FROM or RECEIVED BY a
"Taylor" who's not you.  (Note that any of your messages are not
included, which may make threading or other display a bit...odd.)

Does this cover your use case?