[MlMt] MailMate and Time Machine

Glenn Parker glenn.parker at comcast.net
Thu Oct 22 12:22:57 EDT 2020

I came across this low-level approach to debugging Time Machine
performance issues:

https://medium.com/macoclock/time-machine-backups-too-slow-5ed1e5e347a4

> I left for last the most complex, low-level debugging tool you have
> available allowing you to monitor your filesystem access in real-time.
> This is a powerful tool allowing to investigate what is the actual
> root cause of Time Machine’s delay. In particular when you face long
> delays waiting for “Preparing backup” this kind of investigation
> can shed light to otherwise mysterious delays.
>
> Open a Terminal and issue the following command:
> sudo fs_usage -w | grep -i backupd | grep -i fsctl
>
> Upon entering your user-credentials you will start seeing many, many
> files appearing in your terminal window. These are the files that Time
> Machine is checking for changes. By carefully observing the patterns
> and folders being accessed, you can identify folders which may have
> thousands (or even, tens of thousands) of small files that you don’t
> need to backup and by excluding them you can considerably speed up
> your backup times.

I verified that this works and it seems safe enough even for those less
familiar with command-line utilities (but just in case, you halt this
tool with Ctrl-C).

Glenn P. Parker
glenn.parker at comcast.net