[MlMt] MailMate and Time Machine

Glenn Parker glenn.parker at comcast.net
Wed Oct 21 22:20:46 EDT 2020

On 21 Oct 2020, at 13:56, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> I've had to disable Time Machine backups of the directories
> containing my IMAP messages—I was getting at most two
> backups per day because each one took so long. Some of
> it, I'm sure, is because I have about a million messages, but I don't
> think that that's the whole story—my backup laptop, which has most
> of those messages but does not normally
> run MailMate except periodically when I want it to catch up, can
> handle Time Machine reasonably well.
>
> The issue, then, would seem to be something about messages
> being added to or deleted from some mail folders, possibly
> propagating up the directory tree. Is that right? Is there some
> organizational pattern I could use that would cut the time?
> Is it, for example, that I have too many messages in certain folders?

I exclude ~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Database.noindex from
my Time Machine backups. It makes a real difference (measured using
*BackupLoupe 2*).

I’m pretty sure the database index files can (and should) be
reconstructed after a file recovery. These database files get pretty
large (mine total to about 600MB for 49,000 messages). Each of the many
index files covers *all* the messages in the system, and each can be
updated after any message is received, moved or expunged. As a result,
Time Machine records a fair amount of this database (around 500MB for
me) on every backup cycle.

In contrast, the message contents are stored as single files under
~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Messages.noindex. Time Machine
uses storage proportional to the size of the messages that change during
each backup cycle.

Glenn P. Parker
glenn.parker at comcast.net