[MlMt] Posting to this list

Eric Sharakan esharakan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 10:35:44 EDT 2020

On 8 Oct 2020, at 9:32, Glenn Parker wrote:

> And yet, AFAIK MailMate has no support for bottom-posting replies in
> the composer window, which is frustrating.
>
> On 8 Oct 2020, at 9:19, Charlie Clark wrote:
>
>> On 8 Oct 2020, at 15:14, Martin S Taylor wrote:
>>
>>> Indeed - sadly, I'm old enough to know that.
>>>
>>> Are there conventions about whether one should top-post or
>>> bottom-post? I see different users here follow different guidelines.
>>
>> Netiquette says: quote and bottom post.
>>
>> It's weird to see "modern" mail clients trying to "solve" the
>> problems caused by top-posting by introducing conversational views.
>>
>> Quoting relevant parts of a mail show focus.
>>
>> Posting below avoids the Doctor Who effect:
>>
>> Doctor Who
>>> Who's there?
>>
>> ;-)

Agreed.  In fact, I find the whole signature preference pane, in
addition to the behavior of said signatures and "Caret placement"
options, completely confusing and non-intuitive.  If I don't have any
signatures configured, and just use this pane as a way to specify "caret
placement", it won't place the caret at the bottom, even when that's
what I select for "Default signature placement", with "Caret placement"
selected as "Above Signature."

Can we at least get a "Caret placement" option of "Always at bottom"?

Configuring a signature doesn't really help, and in fact adds a whole
new level of confusion: Not only won't MM place the signature by default
when I'm composing a reply (yes I have "Default signature" set to "All
Messages"), but when I explicitly request it via the "signature"
pulldown menu near the top of the compose window, it ignores my
previously defined "Default signature placement" preference of "Bottom",
and instead places the signature at the top.  Only after that placement
am I allowed to go back into the signature pulldown and move it to the
bottom.

It's all just baffling to me.

Thanks.

-Eric