[MlMt] Editing draft messages

Wed Nov 25 14:05:19 EST 2020

On 25 Nov 2020, at 13:26, Martin S Taylor wrote:

>> On 24 Nov 2020, at 12:45, Martin S Taylor wrote:
>>
>> Does double-clicking on the message one-line header summary open it for editing?  That's how it works for drafts I save myself to come back to later; I would expect similar behavior regardless of how the message ended un in the Drafts folder.
>
> You would expect that, wouldn't you? But it doesn't.
>
> It works the way you describe for drafts I've written myself, but not for drafts written by someone else.

This is intentional. The format of drafts isn't really standardized and it would also be hard to do since email clients do not support the same feature set. For example, a plain text email client cannot edit an HTML email. The drafts generated by MailMate are pretty standard in formatting, but many email clients put all kinds of non-standard headers and content into drafts which MailMate cannot handle.

MailMate recognizes its own messages (based on the X-Mailer header), but in order to not accidentally destroy content/formatting of other drafts then it won't do this in other cases. You have to use “Message ▸ Edit as New Message” instead which will ensure that the original draft is still around -- just in case something goes wrong.