[MlMt] Getting started with MailMate

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Sun Nov 22 19:28:35 EST 2020

On 22 Nov 2020, at 18:51, Andrew Buc wrote:

>> On Nov 22, 2020, at 3:40 PM, Glenn Parker <glenn.parker at comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Transferring old emails into an IMAP server may not not the best
>> approach. You can still access any local folders via your AppleMail,
>> or you might transition to a mail archiving utility for old messages,
>> e.g. MailSteward.
>
> I want to bring some of my legacy emails (mainly years- or
> decades-long correspondence with friends) into MailMate so I can use
> MailMate’s search functionality on them.

If you have good enough upload bandwidth, add the IMAP server
to Apple Mail and move your POP mail folders from your old
account to the new IMAP account. If you're short on disk space for
email, at this point delete the account from Apple Mail.  When you
point MailMate at the new IMAP server, it will pick up the folder
structure and all of the mails. When you're happy with that, delete
the Apple Mail account if you haven't already done so, to free up
the space used by those duplicate messages.