[MlMt] ProtonMail or other IMAP server?

Scott mailmate at howyagoin.net
Sat Jun 27 20:52:41 EDT 2020

Hi Kim,

> Tried to onboard with MailMate a couple of years but couldn’t
> understand how to do it. I’m trying again.
>
> Is ProtonMail good to use with MM as an IMAP server or are there other
> good alternatives? Good meaning not too costly and a pleasant and
> responsive service team.

One potential issue with ProtonMail is that, from what I have read on
their support site, they do not support IMAP tags/keywords/labels the
way that some other IMAP services can.  To use IMAP with them, you have
to use their "Bridge" software, which may cause other issues.

See: https://protonmail.com/support/knowledge-base/labels-in-the-bridge/

I haven't actually tried this on my ProtonMail accounts, as I haven't
enabled the IMAP Bridge with those accounts.

As someone who makes extremely heavy use of IMAP tags/labels in
MailMate, I need to make sure that whatever I use as an IMAP server
fully supports my specific use-cases.

There are also potential issues with latency, depending upon where you
are in the world.  ProtonMail is in Switzerland, after all.  From
Australia, that gets a bit painful sometimes, for all sorts of reasons.

Fastmail is a great alternative, and whilst it certainly doesn't have
anywhere close to the security of ProtonMail, it offers a lot of great
features and works fantastic with MailMate.

Scott