[MlMt] FYI: Don't go to Big Sur just yet.

Charlie Clark charlie at begeistert.org
Tue Jun 23 04:48:36 EDT 2020

On 23 Jun 2020, at 6:41, Scott wrote:

> Hi MailMate users,
>
> I put macOS 11 (Big Sur) on a spare laptop for testing and of all of
> my critical applications, only one crashes immediately:  MailMate.
>
> As always, one should never put highly temperamental betaware on
> machines for critical work, so, in my case, it's no big deal as that
> laptop was sitting turned off for the last six months anyway.
>
> Just trying to give the community a heads up so they don't do
> something they end up regretting.

In general, it's advisable never to go with .0 of any of Apple's OS
releases, certainly not the betas on any device that isn't supposed to
crash. I normally wait until the January or later because I can't
remember any of the last 4 or 5 that didn't have really significant bugs
in them and Big Sur will be no exception, with the support for both x86
and ARM no small task – not the compiling with cross-compiling now
well established, it's always the little things like drivers that cause
the most problems. As it happens, Catalina decided it was all too much
last night and crashed while it was doing nothing.

This is why Apple is pushing the ARM-based MacMinis for developers.

Charlie

--
Charlie Clark
Kronenstr. 27a