[MlMt] Export and save

Randall Gellens mailmate at randy.pensive.org
Mon Jun 1 22:01:18 EDT 2020

On 1 Jun 2020, at 7:52, aisrael wrote:

> I know this has been treated repeatedly, but I can’t seem to find
> the relevant information : if my emails are deleted from the server
> (when I retire for example), how can I save all my mailboxes/emails
> locally (or on a server) in a searchable form, that would include the
> attachments?
>
> I seem to remember there were commercial apps that can do that, but I
> don’t find the right info.

It depends on your interest and ability.  Once approach would be to run
your own IMAP server, using a free or reasonably-priced server.  Another
approach would be to find a new email provider that provides access via
IMAP.  Once you've identified an IMAP server, you would use an IMAP
import tool to move your email from your current IMAP server to your new
one.

I'm in the process of setting up a new Dovecot IMAP server on a Mac
Mini.  Dovecot is a free, open-source IMAP server.  It provides a robust
IMAP transfer tool.

Dovecot:
https://www.dovecot.org

The tool to sync (or import) email:
https://wiki2.dovecot.org/Tools/Doveadm

However, these tools require familiarity with command lines.

--Randall