[MlMt] ]Line-spacing in HTML Mails I'm Sending

Fri Jul 31 09:15:11 EDT 2020

On 31 Jul 2020, at 5:04, Steve Holyer wrote:

For everyone else on this list: I consider this thread closed after this email. Write me directly with any additional thoughts.

> Wow. That is NOT the question I asked. I find it’s particularly unhelpful and unwelcoming. The other answer to read the manual was moderately more helpful.

I'm sorry not all answers were helpful to you, but keep in mind that people on the list are users of MailMate. I'm very grateful for the great answers they often provide when I don't have time for it. If you get an answer which is not helpful then just ignore it (or write directly to me instead using “Help > Send Feedback”).

> My request was for help sending the types of emails I want to send. Robert, if you don’ want to receive html mails you can change your setting to prefer plain text. Easy. **Everyone** is happy and gets what they want.

I wish it was that simple. Unfortunately, many email clients/services generate horrible or even useless plain text variants of the HTML. MailMate is far from perfect itself, but for now I've tried to keep styling of the HTML to a minimum by default in order to let the receiving email client make most of the styling decisions. Unfortunately, this is far from trivial since some email clients have pretty bad defaults. I'll eventually revisit how styling works and hopefully make it more flexible/robust, but the reality is that I'll then have to test every change in multiple email clients to make sure it works well (similar to people designing campaign emails). There are services like Litmus to help me do that, but this is just yet another indication of how badly HTML is working for emails in general.

General note: I do believe most of the styling of an email should be controlled by the recipient and not the sender. The alternative is that everyone sends emails using different fonts/colors/spacing/... and reading emails is going to feel like browsing web pages on different sites. If/when I make it easier to style outgoing emails then I feel I'll also have to implement some way of making it easy to strip such styles from incoming emails.

> I want to thank each of you who responded. Each of your responses pointed me to the solution.
>
> I’ve installed Thunderbird.

I really am glad you found a solution. MailMate is not for everyone and Thunderbird is a great alternative.

> ---
>
> Benny thanks for all your hard work. I really appreciate it. That’s why I purchased MailMate. I know it’s a labour of love for you, but it’s been a real struggle for me. I will miss smart mailboxes. But, Robert’s response helped me realise it shouldn’t be this hard. Thank you again for trying something different with email. Lot’s of great ideas. Didn’t work for me.

Thanks for trying out MailMate! I'm sorry to hear that it's been a struggle. Since your purchase is fairly recent I've naturally issued a refund.