[MlMt] default account derived from context is not behaving?

Eric Sharakan esharakan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 10:27:12 EDT 2020

Bringing up this old issue, as I just almost did something rather
embarrassing due to this "derived from context" setting not working as I
expect.  Comments inline.

On 11 Dec 2018, at 5:58, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 10 Dec 2018, at 20:49, Eric Sharakan wrote:
>
>> Hi, if I click on an external mailto: link to compose a new message
>> in MM, the chosen From address is not right (or not what I think it
>> should be).
>>
>> For example, I'm clicking on a link to send an email to
>> paul.xxx at companyZ.com.  One of my accounts is also with companyZ.com,
>> but the chosen From address is not from that account, but from my
>> comcast account.
>
> Deriving from context has some issues (or lacks a sufficient level of
> flexibility in its settings), but it's not really supposed to handle a
> case like this.

In that case, can you please explain exactly what "derived from context"
actually does?  In my scenario above, there is no context in the message
that would lead MM to choose my comcast account as the From address.  In
fact, there's no context at all, except that mailto: URL I clicked.

> It doesn't try to use the domain name to derive
> anything. I'll note your problem to keep it in mind when I try to
> improve this feature, but if you consider the case where the domain
> name is, e.g., `gmail` then you might see that it's not a
> straightforward thing to handle. Some company domains are not really
> company domains.

But in my case (as I expect in many other cases) it isa 1:1 mapping, and
that's exactly the behavior I want.

If this isn't the appropriate semantics of the "derived from context"
option, then can you please add a new option that explicitly tries to
match based on the domain part of the email address?

Thanks.

-Eric