[MlMt] newbie question about folders

Glenn Parker glenn.parker at comcast.net
Tue Jan 28 10:53:06 EST 2020

Jo,

I *think* I understand what you’re trying to accomplish, because it
sounds like something I wanted when I first started using MailMate
(spoiler: I asked Benny and he said it wasn’t available).

First, a little nomenclature for the new user.  What MailMate calls the
“Account” or “Source” is what I normally call a “mailbox”,
that is to say the folder hierarchically and messages accessed via a
particular account on an IMAP server. To me, that whole thing is the
mailbox. What MailMate calls a “IMAP Mailbox” is what I would
normally call a “folder”. The core standard for IMAP, [RFC
3501](https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3501), uses this terminology for
mailboxes and folders, as does every other IMAP client I have used.

Now, I understand that internationalization can be a tricky business, so
I’m prepared to look past some odd bits, but this is an early
stumbling block in the user experience. It took me a couple of days to
understand when I first started using MailMate. I was quite wary of
creating a new “IMAP Mailbox” because I didn’t want to
accidentally create a whole new account. That left me fumbling around
looking for how to create “folders” when it was right there in front
of me.

BTW, another odd bit is the use of “MiB” and “KiB”. In English,
“MiB” is most likely read as “Men In Black” (the movie).
“Megabyte” is just “MB” (there’s not even an “i” in the
word), and “Kilobyte” is just “KB”.

Anyway… you can create a new IMAP Mailbox using the menu command or by
right-clicking on an existing Mailbox (substitute “folder” for
“Mailbox” in your head here). The Mailbox can be a child of the
INBOX, or a sibling, depending on the selected object, e.g., Account,
INBOX, or another Mailbox.

You can then add rules to your INBOX folder that will automatically (or
manually) move incoming messages to your new Mailbox as they arrive. You
can add lots of rules for specific email senders, or for email from a
particular domain, or many other criteria. You can even make a rule that
recognizes email addresses found in an existing Mailbox.

What you *cannot* do is create a rule that indirectly references a group
of email addresses in your system address book. Right now, MailMate
seems to have fairly limited interaction with the address book. It
doesn’t have its own internal address book (which is a good thing
IMHO), but I think the only time the address book is accessed is when
addressing new messages. This is a filtering option that other mail
clients (with internal address books) do support, so I understand why
the question pops up.

There are probably some workarounds involving pre-filtering that could
be done here, but MailMate is generally powerful (and complicated)
enough for me.

The cruder workaround is to create a rule with all the relevant email
addresses, and to then maintain that rule as the list of email addresses
evolves.

Daydream mode: it might be interesting if we could treat address book
groups like Mailboxes, so that the email addresses in a group could be
accessed in a rule.

On 28 Jan 2020, at 3:32, Jo wrote:

> On 27 Jan 2020, at 23:47, Charlie Clark wrote:
>
>> If you want to move anything you'll need to set up rules. It's a pity
>> this isn't as easy to do as setting up smart mailboxes, which is
>> based on a search (or maybe it is and I just haven't figured it
>> out!), but you can use an existing e-mail to get some help setting up
>> the criteria for an action.
>
> I can set up rules, but i can’t seem to create a mailbox/folder. Not
> a new smart mailbox, but just a folder. Where do I do that at?
>

> Jo
>
>    "Therapy is extremely expensive...
>       ..Popping bubble wrap is radically cheap"
>                                 ....Jimmy Buffett

Glenn P. Parker
glenn.parker at comcast.net