[MlMt] newbie question about folders

Fredrik Jonsson frjo at xdeb.org
Tue Jan 28 04:36:13 EST 2020

Jo 2020-01-28 9:32 wrote:

> I can set up rules, but i can’t seem to create a mailbox/folder. Not
> a new smart mailbox, but just a folder. Where do I do that at?

MailMate is a pure IMAP client, it does not have anything like "On my
Mac" folders.

Look in the "Sources" section, in the bottom of the left sidebar. There
you can create new IMAP folders in your IMAP accounts with the "New IMAP
Mailbox" command.

But my suggestion is to skip "real" folders and take maximum advantage
of MailMate and its smart folders.

With MailMate I use smart folders extensively and just archive all mails
in one “Archive” mailbox instead.

I have set up my own key bindings so “i” will select the inbox,
“a” will archive mail, “d” will delete them, “f” flag them
and “r” for making a reply. This takes care of most of my mail
interaction.

Here you find my key bindings:
<https://xdeb.org/post/2014/05/16/mailmate-replaces-gyazmail-after-four-years/>

I have smart folders for people/projects/organisations etc. Since smart
folders are just searches the same e-mail can show up in multiple
places. No more worrying  if a particular e-mail should go to the
personal folder or project x folder.

Fredrik