[MlMt] QUESTION: How to access beta builds

Mon Jan 27 08:23:52 EST 2020

On 25 Jan 2020, at 18:41, Jenna Jonteaux via mailmate wrote:

> I have followed instructions to tick under Preferences, Software
> Updates, watch for Beta Builds, but none have come my way as of yet.
> Is
> there another resource where I might directly download most current
> beta
> release?

Sorry about the confusion. In theory, you can use the preferences, but
in practice I almost never release beta builds. Instead, you have to
hold down ⌥ when clicking “Check Now” in the Software Update
preferences pane. I usually refer to these releases as “test”
builds.

The reason for this is that most people rely heavily on email working
for them and a beta-update might happen at an inconvenient time and they
do, some times, include serious bugs. Even if a serious bug is fixed
within a few hours then a lot of users are going to be affected.
Therefore, I prefer that users explicitly fetch test releases, because
then fewer people are affected and they are more likely to have time to
deal with any unexpected issues (which I appreaciate very much).

I hope that clears it up a bit :-)

When something goes wrong, older releases can be found here:
http://updates.mailmate-app.com/archives/